Friday, November 06, 2020

54

 


Yes, I'm 54 years old today.
Yes, that's a photo of Studio 54 in New York back in the day (obviously before social distancing).
I used to enjoy a night out at a disco as much as the next guy... well, maybe even a little bit more. It feels like a long, long time ago.

Some of the things I'm grateful for today include:

  • good job (with birthday greetings from our CEO, Bill McDermott! Yay!!) #servicenowstrong
  • good place to live (Sweet Home Yokohama!)
  • good food to eat (some of it I even cooked myself)
  • good health (well, pretty good anyway)
  • good family (I am overly blessed in this area)
  • good dojo and good students (great, actually)
  • good friends (again, overly blessed in this area - thank you for your messages!)
  • good books (still reading all your recommendations)

The list goes on and on... I am blessed beyond measure and grateful to all of you who have been part of my success story.

I suffered a fair bit to get here, but still had it better than many.  I fought hard for what I achieved and it has not come easy.  I'm sure everyone who considers themselves successful would say the same.  Many times I wanted to give up, but the love and support of all of you kept me going.  Thank you.  I came into this world fighting and I'm not done yet. I'll keep going full speed ahead until my last breath. I know you would expect no less of me.

I started this journey premature and underweight at the US Naval Hospital in Norfolk, VA.  I ended up in Illinois Children's Home and Aid when my parents divorced and I was placed into foster care at just over one year old.  I have struggled with ADHD, depression and other mental illness and tried (unsuccessfully) to end my life more than once along the way.  I found martial arts and my life mission and achieved my dreams (and beyond) here in Japan. I met and married a strong, beautiful, incredible woman and thanks to her I have the family I always wanted.  Being part of this family is the greatest achievement and honor of my life. I have had more than I ever expected and feel so incredibly lucky.

In time, I forgave others, which allowed me to forgive myself.  I found redemption and peace in my heart after so many years of sadness. I have tried to pay it forward and give back to others in need at every possible opportunity. It will never be enough but I will never stop trying. You deserve my very best every day.

The many messages I receive from around the world, from all of you who took even a moment from your busy day to think of me, make me overcome with happiness.  I feel like my life has had importance and meaning because I've been able to meet you and be part of your story, too.  Thank you for remembering me today.

This year has been the hardest so far.  So much pain and suffering, with every day feeling like a new low. Now, I can see the sun coming up on the horizon. We're going to get through this. Together. I promise.

Thank You.        

1 comment:

Kassis Karate Academy said...

Thank you for sharing such a helpful blog! Welcome to Kassis Karate Academy, traditionally and internationally known by our Japanese name SHITORYU KARATE-DO AUSTRALIA SHITOKAI - recognised as one of Australia's leading karate schools based in the north, north-eastern region of Melbourne Victoria. If you are a traditionalist, a sports enthusiast, we can help you.