Saturday, February 08, 2014

Anything and Everything

"How you do anything is how you do everything" - zen master

Have been thinking about this lately while I am on a long, three-week business trip between London and New York.

You can learn so much about someone by observing the little things they do, from making a cup of tea to walking down the street.  You can tell by how they talk to clients, to coworkers, to their family, to their friends.  Are they a different person for these different groups?  Are you?

This has caused me to think about how I engage and interact with the people I meet, from complete strangers to close friends and colleagues, even to my students.  I hope I can be the same person to all of them.  I hope I can listen well and respond with sincerity, energy and passion.  I hope I can be a source of strength for them.

Zen is expressed as the utmost care in every action of every moment of our lives.  It is the Way of being constantly connected to the entire universe in every breath we take.  Easier said than done, to be sure, but it means that AWARENESS is key.  We should be paying attention to the actions we take and the words we use, saying what we mean and meaning what we say, always for the betterment of our universal selves.
This is worthy of reflection, I think.

I find that when travelling it is easier to lose my focus.  The jet lag; the trains, planes, buses, taxi all drain my energy and leave me tired all the time.  I don't sleep well in any bed other than my own, surrounded by my family.  It is precisely at these times that I try to apply an even greater level of awareness and focus, so that I deliberately examine every action, no matter how small.  Maybe I am afraid of drifting away...

It is said the LIFE is what happens while we are waiting for something else.
Don't let this be you.  Be involved and live every moment fully.  You deserve it.

See you back on the mats very soon.

No comments: