Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Baking (and martial arts)

 

today's baguette


Many people started baking during COVID, as a consequence of being unable to go out or enjoy their usual preferred entertainment. I was a bit late to it, beginning my journey soon after the pandemic. I've been working on it for a couple of years now and it is a pastime that calms me and gives me a feeling of control, especially when my professional and personal life rarely offer me that.

I realized that my baking journey has a lot in common with my martial arts journey.

Practice Makes Perfect

I've been working on the humble baguette for more than a year. I'm sure I've made more than 100 loaves in that time; some good, some not. That journey has led me to the loaf above, which is just what I wanted. I knew it would take a lot of repetition to get consistently good results and I was prepared to put in the time and energy to develop my skill.

Process and Technique Matter

Breadmaking is a process that humans have been doing for probably 20,000 years or more. During that time, new tools  (like my KitchenAid stand-mixer) have been invented but the process is still basically the same. A great loaf of bread can still be made with no electrical tools at all. The technique would vary, but the basic process does not. I find this tradition comforting. Sometimes I knead by hand just because I enjoy it. I can never be too good at the fundamentals.

Enjoy the Trial and Error

I continue to research breadmaking constantly, seeking out and subscribing to skillful bakers who post explanatory videos on social media. I watch them all the time and adapt what I see to my own kitchen, oven size and goals. I have tried adjustments to every single step of the process so that I could understand what part each step plays in the overall success of the outcome. I've adjusted the hydration, the rising/resting times, the gluten development, the shaping, the scoring, the oven temperature, oven hydration, and more. Every test has taught me more about what works... and why. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, but I know that's part of the learning process and I don't worry too much about it. I eat all the loaves anyway even if they're not perfect.

Good baking requires a good understanding of the science involved --- physics and chemistry. Leavened breads are a great way to understand how the ratios of ingredients, temperature and time work together to make something delicious. I really love learning why it works, rather than just repeating the steps from memory.

Every Time Is Different

I never get bored of baking because every time it's a little different. The recipes are guidelines rather than absolutes, and on any given day my kitchen is hotter or cooler (or more or less humid). Proofing times are never exact and great bread depends on the look and feel at the time. Like driving a car, baking requires micro adjustments each time to achieve what appear to be consistent results. There is as much art as science in baking.

Patience is Key

I am not a very patient person. However, in baking I have no choice. Rushing any of the steps ruins the end result. Each specific step is important and, while I can be organized and efficient, I cannot eliminate any of the steps (I tested!) nor can I reduce the times without affecting the end result. I must trust the process. 

Simple is Best/Authenticity Counts

There are some very complicated bread recipes, some that require a lot of time and effort and result in very complex artisan bread. Sourdough, brioche, babka, croissants - all delicious - require a lot of skill to bake and are impressive. I like baking baguettes because they are very, very simple. The only five ingredients are: flour, water, sugar, salt and yeast. To me, a great baguette is every bit as delicious as any complex artisan loaf and baguette baking requires its own particular skills. I love the authenticity of a simple, perfect baguette.

Buying In Like a Pro

At the beginning, I only spent money on the ingredients and I made do with whatever I had on hand. As time went on, my commitment to baking as a hobby grew and ultimately I decided to invest in some proper tools for improving the result of my product. I began to see myself as a baker rather than just a person trying to bake. I became more serious about my learning journey and more willing to embrace this as potentially a hobby I would continue indefinitely. I don't want to automate the whole thing (no bread machine for me) since the act of baking, and the learning associated with it, is more my focus than the bread itself. If it were just about the bread, I'd buy good loaves at any of the excellent bakeries nearby. I love the feel of accomplishment baking gives me.

Part of a Global Community

Before I started baking, I had no idea how passionate people are about bread. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people around the world who enjoy it as much as I do. Most are better than I am, which offers me a great opportunity to learn and grow. We send recipes and photos and encourage each other to improve. We discuss techniques and tools and engage in (sometimes heated debates) about the aspects of baking we think are important. Some are professionals; some, like me, are hobbyists. All are welcome to share our mutual enjoyment of baking. Sometimes our languages differ, but we find a way to connect and communicate. It's lovely.

Without being patronizing or heavy-handed, it's plain to see that baking and martial arts have a lot in common. I could just as easily been writing a post about martial arts practice instead of baking. Likewise I could be writing about photography or music or creative writing or rock climbing or surfing.

I hope you will consider the above for your own interests and hobbies and never be afraid to start new ones. You may surprise yourself with newfound energy and excitement. That's worth it, right?

See you on the mats (or by the oven) 

No comments: